NordPass returned this year to gather the top 200 Most Common Passwords of 2022 from a 3TB database analyzed with the help of independent cybersecurity researchers.
This time, we see more cultural clues since the database is larger, with more global data points. Even still, you won’t be shocked by the results if you’ve been reviewing these annual password lists.
Table of Contents
Most Common Passwords of 2022 by NordPass
Comparison of the Most Common Passwords from 2019 to 2022 by NordPass
Most Common Passwords of 2022 Observations
What’s interesting in this list is that “password” came back to claim its number 1 spot on the list for nearly 5 million users. Readers from other password lists may have remembered seeing this entry at number one for many years.
Take a look at the common patterns and tendencies that users fall to. When left to their imagination, people in a hurry will choose passwords that are quick to type and easy to remember. The following patterns always seem to show up:
- Number sequences in either direction like “123456.”
- Keyboard patterns like “qwerty.”
- Favorite things like bands, food, movies, sports, and more.
- Current events.
- What’s popular.
- First names of family, friends, and pets.
- And of course, swear words.
With such easy and predictable patterns, it’s no wonder why 18 of the top 20 most common passwords were guessed in under a second.
One unusual password did stand out. Number 21 on the top 200 common password list of 2022 is “D1lakiss.” After searching, there doesn’t seem to be a reference publicly available to indicate why this is a popular pick.
As always, be sure to shore up your account security by doing the following:
- Employ good password hygiene. Heavily consider using a password manager.
- Employ good PIN hygiene.
- Keep an eye on your accounts. Regularly check active sessions when you log in and remain vigilant against suspicious activity.
- Use multi-factor authentication whenever possible, preferably through a token generator instead of SMS through your phone.
To compare against last year’s passwords, check out our previous Most Common Passwords of 2021 post.